Google+ Followers

Thursday, 28 July 2016

Mother's Milk is best ?

I suffered from high blood pressure during the last trimester of my pregnancy, my baby was born almost a month early because the doctor could not wait anymore as blood pressure was soaring.

I remember how even breathing was a task and with the blood pressure hitting critical levels and a salt-less diet and the medicines I was subjected to, it was a harrowing experience for me. This was coupled with the fear that the baby might be at risk. The doctor would check me twice a day for the last 10 days and make sure the baby was okay.

The blood pressure and the surgery left me with more medicines than I could imagine. I am not sure if this was the reason or just some physiology but I was not able to get breast milk in the first few days of the baby's birth. My baby got used to the bottle and then after repeated attempts finally started latching.

The milk was mostly insufficient for her, so the bottle continued. And a couple of months later, she simply stopped latching on. It was too much of a task for her. The bottle was far more easier.

So, my baby is a formula fed baby. Everywhere I go, there are people prodding me if I breast feed her and judging me for it. Includes people who have never had a baby themselves!

And then there is this media overload around us, telling us constantly that a child must be breast fed. As if I am wrong to bottle feed my baby. It is not a choice I was handed out in the first place and it is nobody's business to judge me.

While it is all fine to be supporting breast feeding - and stop the shaming surrounding public breast feeding, it is equally important to normalize bottle feeding. A mother goes through a sackful of life altering experiences while having a child and there is absolutely no need to add to the pressure.

1 comment:

Followers